Friday, July 25, 2008

Food....Superhero or Masked Vigilante?

1. From an early age I remember my mom cooking meals for the family. Some of these meals were ethnic course while others were ideas that she conjured up from a recipe book. There are three particular meals that she used to make that stick out to me. They were stacked up enchiladas, cheese quesadillas, and banana pancakes. She didn’t start making stacked up enchiladas until I was in high school. She came up with this one largely due to me being a growing boy and a lot of her meals during that time were not really filling me up. Her cheese quesadillas were so good that many of my friends use to come over not to come see me but to have some of her homemade quesadillas. Man talk about getting jealous! She made her banana pancakes for me only during the summer, never during the school year. These pancakes were thin and filled with roasted bananas. I would always end up eating like 10 of these before I did anything else for the day.
In the last few years she hasn’t cooked these meals, I think a lot of it is because she is really busy with her classes (she is a teacher). Now it comes down to getting some good ribs and potatoes for my birthday. Even now on family occasions she doesn’t do much of the cooking this is usually done by my grandmother on my father’s side. Looking back at these enriched dishes that she use to conjure they really did have an influence on me. I remember getting excited and enlightened if I was feeling a lot of stress during that time. They have shaped my appreciate and respect for my mother knowing that she use to have killer spatula ready to blow me out of the dinner table.

2. Its true food can have an influence on your mood or what you think at a particular moment. To this day I would never eat coleslaw because I remember seeing a kid in elementary school vomiting it out onto the gym floor where our cafeteria was. I was sitting across from where this kid was sitting and with my curious George mentality I looked over to the vomit to see how it looked like. It looked exactly like the coleslaw on my tray: it didn’t change! This is why to this day I can never eat coleslaw because it brings me back to that fateful day thirteen years ago.
I remember a lot of the meals we had during junior high. My favorite meal was curly fries mixed with crispy chicken strips. If I didn’t get this then I would get the triple stacked peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Our pizza wasn’t too bad in middle school I think this was largely due to my pizza experience in elementary school was terrible so it could’ve only gotten better. In high school our pizza got a lot better we actually had smooth cheese and crisp edges. I ate a lot of pizza during high school luckily I never became a pepperoni face like many of my friends did. Of all of my food experience I have to say that junior was the best. Those curly fries with the chicken just couldn’t be beat.
Nowadays I make my own meals but their usually something simple like ham sandwich with macaroni salad. If I have the ingredients then I may end up cooking a steak with some asparagus or make an omelet. My favorite meal I make by far is my hamburgers. If I ever get to the point where I don’t need any more money and I’m doing nothing but being bored sitting at home then I will open up a place to make these burgers.

No comments: