Friday, August 8, 2008

Blog for Essay #2

I decided to go with writing prompt number 2. After reading about the way food gets its taste and flavoring I wanted to look further into the corporations that does the flavoring for our t.v. dinners, and instance meals. I wanted to know how they got started and in what ways did they become a monopoly in their own fields. This is the most interesting topic for me to choose from, I’m a business major so I find entrepreneurs becoming billionaires very interesting. The topic that I’m researching will be the empires that exist in the food industry, just like J.R. Simblot or Ray Croc I want to find the other corporations that took over and the effects that they have brought on society. Mainly my audience consist of college aged students except for two. I know someone is a financial advisor so just the talk of money and how these tycoons used the money that they got to generate an even bigger profit should be fascinated to him. I think everyone will want to read it because they want to see the effects that these companies have and they get to see the kind of mind set that these founders have, do they really care about us or are they just interested in gaining the extra dollar? So the paper should be of interest to everyone because not only will I talk about the founders but I want to scoop up some dirt on them so to speak. After reading my paper I want my audience to see their true colors. I want to start my paper with narration/illustration from this I want to move to compare and contrast then finally to description. I want the audience to gain knowledge on these tycoons and the empires that they have built. So far I have learned about the Lamb Weston and how the company runs today. I have looked up how Wilbur Hardee’s got started (and found out that he just died recently). I’ve had some trouble looking up info on Tyson food company, I was able to find out about the company as we know it now but I haven’t found too much on the founder. I found out some info on Con-Agra and the founders. I found some minor companies that have been semi-successful that were founded by one man. Monday's research should entail some sources from CQ researcher and Proquest. I'm going to try to stay away from wikipedia and use the database from Rice Library as much a I can.

No comments: