Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Research Proposal

General Framework:
I have decided to research my topic because I’m interested in learning about these tycoons that have basically established empires and whether they try to cheat the system (so to speak) to gain the extra dollar. One experience is the reading that we have been doing in class from Fast Food Nation through reading this book I have learned about some of these billionaires and how they got their start. From reading their biographies my interest grew in learning more about these business tycoons. On top of this food is something that we need to survive, technically I have ate at fast food chains and have bought readymade meals at the grocery so this is something that effects me. After reading Fast Food Nation I wanted to see what other skeletons are in the closet that we as consumers don’t know about. These questions are what drove me into researching this topic. Through researching this topic I should learn some facts about companies like Conagra or Tyson that the average consumer doesn’t know. I will be aware of conspiracies that these companies had and any other run-ins with the law. My classmates should know as much as I know right now. They will be aware of why fast food has caused a strain on our society and how a company like Conagra works. They will not know any issues that these companies have had with the law and this is what I intend to explain to them. As for my instructor he may be aware of some issues that these companies have had with the law but maybe not how these companies first got started.
Establishing a Specific Focus:
My topic deals with today all the way back to the revolution of fast food chains. Specifically I want to focus on today and how these companies treat our food that we eat now; but I also want to look back to the past at how these companies first started. The area of my topic will deal mainly with the U.S. (it was us that started the fast food chains) however a company like Conagra has a plant in Canada. However, the main area that my topic will be focused on is the U.S. I think this is best because my readers will be more curious about my topic since it is an issue that affects them. The specifics of this topic is limited to food, there is nothing else that will be discussed besides food. It must be about an issue that a Fortune 500 company had with the law. For instance, Tyson didn’t put on their labels that the food was antibiotic therefore they had a huge run-in with law officials. My topic is narrowed to only judicial conflicts. The establishments of fast food chains have been a land mark for us, I intend to use this as part of the context for my topic. I want to relate all of these together-the Fortune 500 companies and the fast food chains that have been developed. A critical fact to my research is that all of the students and the instructor in my class have been customers to these companies. So it’s very critical that I’m precise with my topic, what dirty things have these companies done, since many will want to know what it is exactly that I have to say about them. The effects of these companies on the health of consumers will be another critical aspect that I will incorporate into my paper. I want to answer the questions like what have these companies done that were bad? What are the health risks that come with eating their products? How are these companies run i.e. are they ambitious and so the worker on the floor are trained to just do their jobs and not ask questions? Where the founders worried less about the cause of concern consumers had and only interested in making the next million dollars?
Sources:
My sources are dealing with the fortune 500 companies. I’m going to try and stay away from the history of these companies and focus more on the conflicts they’ve had with the law. I want to present the reader of my paper with as much current information as I can, so most of my sources will be up-to-date. I’m trying to stay away from the Wikipedia because I know that their information doesn’t always come from a credible source. Most of my sources will come from CQ Researcher or proquest since I know that these are legitimate databases.



Potential Sources:
"Tyson must stop advertising chicken as "raised without antibiotics"." Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 232.12 (15 June 2008): 1790-1790. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Rice Library, Evansville, IN. 12 Aug. 2008 .
Etter, Lauren, and Scott Kilman.. "Tyson Is Ordered to Pull Antibiotic-Free Label by June 18." Wall Street Journal - Eastern Edition 251.130 (04 June 2008): B9. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Rice Library, Evansville, IN. 12 Aug. 2008 .
"COMPANY NEWS; TYSON FOODS SETTLES AIR POLLUTION SUIT FOR $500,000." New York Times (28 Jan. 2005): 4. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Rice Library, Evansville, IN. 12 Aug. 2008 .
McManus, Reed. "PLUCKING BIG CHICKEN." Sierra 89.2 (Mar. 2004): 59-59. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Rice Library, Evansville, IN. 12 Aug. 2008 .
"Beef-processing unit to pay $625,000 in penalties, fines." Wall Street Journal - Eastern Edition 225.90 (09 May 1995): B12. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Rice Library, Evansville, IN. 12 Aug. 2008 .
"COMPANY NEWS; Restraining Order Against Tyson." New York Times (Feb. 1989): 4. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Rice Library, Evansville, IN. 12 Aug. 2008 .
Johnston, Megan. "Tyson's Trials." Forbes 177.3 (13 Feb. 2006): 48-48. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Rice Library, Evansville, IN. 12 Aug. 2008 .
"COMPANY NEWS; TYSON FOODS MAY BE SUED BY REGULATORS OVER DISCLOSURE." New York Times (17 Aug. 2004): 4. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Rice Library, Evansville, IN. 12 Aug. 2008 .
"Tyson May Face SEC Action Tied To Ex-CEO's Perks." Wall Street Journal - Eastern Edition 244.33 (17 Aug. 2004): A3. Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Rice Library, Evansville, IN. 12 Aug. 2008 .
Elizabeth Weise. "ConAgra suffers new food scare." USA Today (n.d.). Academic Search Premier. EBSCO. Rice Library, Evansville, IN. 12 Aug. 2008 .

No comments: