Monday, August 4, 2008

Modes of writing

1) As soon as I opened the door to the apartment, I knew that my roommate had played party host all weekend long. There were spots all over the floor where people must have spilled their beer. My roommate was groaning under a cover of sheets. “I have a huge hangover,” he was saying to me. The kitchen table was full of cigarettes and empty beer bottles and in the kitchen sink bottles were stacked like a pyramid. There was vomit around the base of the toilet. As soon as I walked in I was ready to get out again.
Mode(s) of writing/thinking: descriptive

2) There are many ways that the university bookstore takes advantage of students. For one thing the pens and pencils there cost $2.50. Any time I want to get some gum I have to go to a gas station because the book store charges a $1.65 for one I can find for a dollar. The price of the books are ridiculous with some costing just over $200, and when I want to return them by the end of the year they tell me that my version is too old. If I’m allowed to return one I end up losing nearly have of what I spent for it. Be careful when you go there because they will suck your money out like a vacuum.
Mode(s) of writing/thinking: Illustration

3) I went to school to help for move-in day. I was already tired when I got there because earlier I went for a thirty minute jog. As soon as I got there a freshman grabbed me and asked me to help her move in some of her clothes. It took at least an hour just to get all her clothes out of her car and into the dorm. As soon as I helped her move in someone else asked me to help them move their entertainment center into the dorm. When it was all said and done, I was just glad to call it a day.
Mode(s) of writing/thinking: Narrative

4) There are quite a few dull programs on network television. Programs like the bachelorette and Grey’s Anatomy are two of the most boring shows on television. The bachelorette is all about a women trying to find a guy to be her husband. She basically plays with thirty men’s emotions not knowing for sure who she is going to end up with. Grey’s Anatomy deals with several doctors that form a huge love triangle. They all sleep with each other but somehow it never has a serious affect on their work. Why would anyone want to watch these television shows?
Mode(s) of writing/thinking: compare/contrast

5) “What the heck is he doing,” I wonder to myself at 5 in the morning. I hear hums and movement on the floor; he must be doing his tai chi exercises. Then I hear music blasting into a head phone and he is doing jumping jacks. Afterwards, I hear the eggs cracking and the blender is turned on. After this he jumps into the shower and turns the bathroom into a sauna. My roommate has a very peculiar morning ritual.
Mode(s) of writing/thinking: Process Analysis/descriptive

No comments: